It’s that time of year again- The time of New Year’s Resolutions. We resolve to do all sorts of things. Sometimes we resolve to stop resolving to do things.
This year, I thought I’d do s series of “Realistic Resolutions” to suggest. As a dear friend of mine often says- If they resonate with you, keep them. If not – throw them out.
As you know, I also happen to be a #PGMom and in December we were encouraged to go out on a Date Night with Covergirl 😉 This provided the inspiration for the 1st post of my series: Realistic Resolution #1: 8 Tips to Make a Regular Date Night a Reality. I’m confident that this is a worthwhile resolution because it has done a world of good for my husband & I 🙂
I’m sure that it wouldn’t surprise you to hear that with 4 kids, my hubby and I have a very hard time getting through a conversation uninterrupted.
In some ways, as the kids have gotten older, it gets easier, while in others, it’s somewhat more difficult.
When the kids were younger, bedtime was earlier, so we had more opportunity to catch up in the evenings. The kids now go to sleep later and the demands of both of our businesses have grown, so as much as we try to leave work at the office, it doesn’t always work out.
We used to do Date Night only every few months, then we got into a once every month or two.
We later went through a few months (many years ago) where we managed to find someone to babysit once weekly so that date night became more routine. It was great until demands on her schedule made it impossible.
We then went back to the ‘on rare occasions’ date night. It was difficult. We literally had to make meeting times to catch up with each other. A few months ago we decided that Date Night is a priority and needs to be non-negotiable (unless, of course, there are extenuating circumstances).
It’s actually made a huge difference. It’s provided a a chance for uninterrupted conversation, a mini-escape from our hectic week and a chance to be a couple as opposed to a couple of parents, even if just for a few hours.
Unfortunately, due to winter break and an unusually hectic 1st week ‘back’, our last date night was in December.
That said, this week we have plans to take back Date Night!!!
Throughout the month, I will share some ideas for what I call “Realistic Resolutions” and Date Night is one of them.
I am also sharing a few tips on how to achieve success in your resolution.
- PRIORITIZE DATE NIGHT, BUT PLAN REALISTICALLY: My husband and I schedule date night once weekly but depending on your schedule and budget, that may actually be impossible. Schedule something on a regular basis that is realistic- if it needs to be every second week or once monthly, then just schedule it that way, but schedule it.
- IN.YOUR.CALENDAR: When I say schedule, I mean IN YOUR CALENDAR. IN ADVANCE. LIKE A MEETING..and it’s not tentative. If something comes up (like your child’s school pageant, or someone is sick) & you must miss it, reschedule it immediately as you would a business meeting or medical appointment
- PICK A DAY: It’s great when your date night is the same day of the week (or month) as it gives you something to look forward to. For example: “Every Wednesday night” or second Tuesday of every month. Do what works for you, but this has been the best way for us 🙂
- DO A BABYSITTING SWAP: If babysitting is a problem- try finding another couple in the same boat as you & swap babysitting nights – so e.g. the 1st Thursday of every month, you or your spouse goes over to babysit their kids while they have date night and on the second Thursday of every month , one of them stays to babysit your kids. (My hubby and I did this a few times- it was a bit challenging to schedule but we were so happy each time we got to go out (as were the other couple!)
- USE GIFT CARDS AND DEALS: Budget is of concern to everyone, yet we often forget about those unused gift cards in the nightstand drawer- dig them up and use them! Also, trolling sites like Living Social for daily deals on restaurants and entertainment can provide inspiration for affordable date nights that allow you to explore new venues or experiences. (Note: If you are a Costco member, you can buy gift cards for certain restaurants at Costco for approx. 20% less than their face value)
- IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE DINNER. OR A MOVIE: We often ‘go with the flow’ – if we feel more like lingering over a long meal- then we’ll choose a place that suits it. If we’re not so much in the mood to eat out, then we may save a few bucks, eat at home & spend the evening browsing around the mall – even if there’s nothing to buy 😉 (We particularly love Carrefour Laval because somehow that mall feels like it’s “out-of-town”. A spa date night where you get a couples massage is also a great idea- Use up those spa gift cards & if you have insurance- BONUS: claim back your spend 🙂 There are lots of ways to spend time together.Honestly, my hubby and I have even made a date night out of Costco returns followed by a long leisurely walk in the neighbourhood. We’re happy to spend time together. Whatever works 😉
DON’T TRY TO MAKE IT PERFECT. JUST GO: Don’t overfocus on ‘perfecting’ the date night. This can be difficult at first. When you haven’t been out in so long, it can be tempting to spend too much energy worrying about not being in the right frame of mind, trying to pick the perfect place, etc. In our experience this rarely works- there are too many variables in a hectic life with kids. So when one of the kids has a tantrum 20 minutes before you go- don’t cancel because the night is ruined- GET OUT AND SAVE YOURSELVES! If the restaurant you were in the mood for has no room left – pick another. The object is to be together, in a place where you don’t have to be responsible for younger beings for just a few hours.
- SPRUCE UP TO GET INTO THE MINDSET: At least most of the time, do something to feel ‘spruced up’ before you go…so it feels like a date. Remember the days of dating when we took time getting ready for our evening out? I, myself, was never a ‘get ready for 3 hours’ kind of girl, but I did like to make sure that I looked ‘presentable’. So even if it’s just undoing your ponytail and brushing your hair out and a quick coat of mascara & lip gloss, at least you will be ‘setting the tone’ and your mind set will be more in ‘date night’ zone, as opposed to ‘what’s next on the schedule?’ zone. That said- if you’re having one of those nights where the choice is to go without sprucing up or to not go because you.just.can’t. spruce up…choose the former and go out anyway 😉 Remember the focus: To be together, away from the responsibility over younger humans for a couple of hours 🙂
Now – in order to encourage you to keep this resolution and to help with your ‘sprucing up’ I am happy to be giving away a Date Night Prize Pack courtesy of COVERGIRL 🙂
Although I do not have a photo for you, the prize pack includes:
Personally – Some of these are products I myself use on a regular basis 🙂
You all know how I feel about the Clump Crusher Mascara. best.mascara.ever. (at least for someone like me who has trouble getting it on smudge-free!)
Although I am WAY more of a lip gloss person that a lipstick person, I have come to love my Colorlicious lipstick from COVERGIRL in Caramel Kiss!
This summer I wore my Smoochies Sizzle Gloss in Blind Date so.many.times.
Smoochies Lipslicks continue to be my lipcolor of choice 🙂
I have also been using the Olay Regenerist micro sculpting cream daily – not sure of the effects yet…time will tell, I guess! I can say that I find the cream to be a great weight – light enough not to feel greasy, but creamy enough to feel like it’s doing something LOL!
Although not part of the giveaway, I must mention that I have been using “THE DE-PUFFER” from COVERGIRL & OLAY as my daily concealer for probably close to a year now. (Yes, I made the switch from my previous brand- which I still love)
The Flamed Out eye pencil is perfect for a quick ‘spruce-up’ before heading out on Date Night and is in fact what I wore in the photos shown above (along with the other products in the photo right here).
In order to ENTER THE #PGmomGiveaway you must:
- Leave a comment in the comments section of this post answering the following question: “Why / how do you feel that Date Night would make a difference in your life?”
- Correctly enter your email address as the winner will notified via email.
- Add info(at)montrealmom.com to your contact list so that if you win, your notification will not go into your junk mail
Once you have entered by answering the question above in the comments section, Here’s how you can get additional entries:
- Follow @PGeverydayCA on Twitter (leave your Twitter handle in the comments section of this post)
- Follow @montreal_mom on Twitter (leave your Twitter handle in the comments section of this post)
- Tweet this giveaway by retweeting this post using #PGmomGiveaway (1 entry for every RT, you can tweet up to 2 times daily- please leave a link to each tweet in the comments section of this post)
- Add montrealmom.com/blog to your RSS Feed (leave note in comments that you have done so, use same email address for both comment & RSS Feed)
- Write about this giveaway on your blog/website and leave me a link to your post in the comments section (counts as 4 entries!)
- Read any other post on the montrealmom.com blog and comment on it (please leave a comment on this post as to which post you read & commented on)
The giveaway ends at 11:59 PM on Wednesday, January 27th, 2016. Winner will be chosen at random and will be contacted via email on Thursday, January 28, 2016. Please make sure your email address is correctly entered in the comments section as the winner will notified via email. Winner must answer a skill-testing question before claiming prize. Open to Canadian residents only.
Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement
P&G has only provided me with the product that I am using as the prizes for this contest. The contest is not otherwise endorsed, designed and/or administered by or associated with P&G. By entering this contest you are accepting that, if you win, your contact information will be shared with a P&G PR and shipping agency for the purpose of mailing your prize. Please allow 4-6 weeks from the contest closure date to receive your prize.
This giveaway may appear on other blogs as part of the #PGmom/#mamanPG program. However, to be fair, you can only win once per giveaway. If your name is chosen more than once, another winner will be selected. All winners must be from within Canada.
Wishing you a wonderful day where you resolve to Date your spouse again 🙂 Tanya
Disclosure: I am a P&Gmom/mamanP&G. As part of my affiliation with this group I receive products and special access to P&G events and opportunities. The opinions on this blog are my own.