When it’s a pulled BEEF shoulder, that’s when!
And SO easy to prepare 🙂
I actually used a recipe for “Beery Roast” by the FABULOUS Norene Gilletz of Gourmania from her Classic Second Helpings Please cookbook.
I switched it up a touch by preparing it in the crockpot and shredding it for these incredible Pulled Beef Sandwiches
1 beef shoulder roast (approx 3 lbs)
1 bottle of beer
Equal amount of ketchup as beer (in my case that worked out to 1 1/4 cups ) Please note that Norene’s original recipe is 1.5 cups of each…sure that would work just as well, if not better 😉
- Combine beer & ketchup in slow cooker
- Mix together to form sauce
- Add roast to sauce, taking care to cover all sides
- Cover & cook on high for 5-6 hours
- When done, uncover and wait about 2-3 minutes
- Using 2 forks, begin to pull apart the meat right in the crockpot (taking care not to burn yourself)
- Continue until entire roast is shredded and bathed in the sauce
- Meat can be used at this point or refrigerated & reheated for use at a later point.
To assemble sandwich:
- Slice a warm mini French bread/baguette lengthwise.
- Place pulled beef on lower half of sandwich
- Spread upper half of warm bread/baguette with Garlic Sauce
- Top meat with shredded lettuce
- Put together into a sandwich & enjoy!
Thought: I suspect that BBQ sauce would be a very suitable subsitute for the ketchup to add a little smoky flavour…I intend to try & will keep you posted 🙂
Tanya, you can also replace the beer with ginger ale, cola or Dr. Pepper and add 2 TBSP of brown sugar.
Thanks for your wonderful tip, Mallary!