When I say that I have found the perfect comforter, I’m not kidding.
I’m not sure about you, but my hubby and I are actually quite fussy about what covers us at night. We don’t want it to be so hot that we’re sweating, nor do we want to feel chilly. It shouldn’t be too heavy but needs to be heavy enough to feel comfy. Over the years we’ve tried some ‘bed in the bag’ deals that were returned before we ever used them, because when they touched our skin they made us itch…Um…not.happening.
So, over nearly 20 years of marriage we would try out one comforter or another for a period of time and always go back to our beloved, downtrodden, beaten-up down duvet that has been flat on the upper half and really puffy on the bottom half for many years now (despite the fact that we would rotate it regularly).
We have been in search of the perfect comforter for quite some time. Well, I can officially tell you that we found it! (And we’ve been using it for almost two months, so again, we’ve truly tested it.) The comforter is made by SmartSilk and there are oh-so-many reasons that it is absolutely PERFECT. Here’s why:
- Comfort & Breathability: Not too heavy, not too light, It keeps us warm yet not sweaty. Truthfully when I opened the package, I was concerned as it seemed a bit “thin” so I wasn’t convinced it would feel heavy enough…but we find it absolutely perfect. It’s worthy of note that being comfortable is important to help ensure a good night’s sleep…and we are learning more each day as to how important sleep is to our health & well-being.
- Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly…by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and The Asthma Society of Canada. We happen to have kids with asthmatic tendencies in our home & have gone to great lengths to make our in-home environment better for them, including wood flooring for the bedrooms as well as asthma & allergy friendly mattress covers. It has made a difference and has been worth the investment. Now we are thinking about getting SmartSilk comforters for everyone in addition. When learning about SmartSilk™, I learned that it is actually a proven barrier to allergens, pet dander and dust mites. Apparently dust mites can’t stand the smell of silk. It’s also good to know that SmartSilk will not take on any odours..Bonus! Also… ATTENTION ECZEMA MOMS: I spoke with someone who suffers from severe eczema near her eyes. She told me that converting to a SmartSilk pillow has seriously improved her condition. #FoodForThought.
- Nobody likes or wants Dust Mites, mold or mildew…even if you don’t have asthma or allergies: which is why the fact that SmartSilk repels dust mites is good for all of us.
- Machine washable: One of the biggest downfalls to our down duvet was the fact that every time it needed to be cleaned, it had to be taken to the dry cleaner which meant that we were without a comforter for a few days & that it was going to cost $$ The SmartSilk comforter is machine washable (FOLLOW DIRECTIONS provided which indicate cold water. Note there is no reason to use hot water to kill dust mites as there will be no dust mites to kill!) It can also be dried in the dryer (again, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS… ) I haven’t tried it yet, but given how satisfied we are with everything else about this comforter…I doubt that we will be disappointed!
- Chemical Free : All SmartSilk products have been tested and proven to be free of any harmful chemicals.
- No silkworms have been harmed in the making of this comforter: I recently learned silk is often made by boiling the cocoons of the silkworms…while the larvae are still inside! Not cool. I was happy to learn that SmartSilk has a NO-KILL policy that even my vegan friends would approve of!
- Looks great on its own or you can dress it up! You can definitely get a diet cover but truthfully, the comforter is a beautiful “just-off-white” which is beautiful all on its own. It’s also stitched in a ‘baffle box” pattern (i.e. squares) that will help to keep the filling in place over time so that our comforter does not suffer the same fate as our poor down duvet…
- SmartSilk is a Canadian company based right here in Montreal! : OK, that may not make it the perfect comforter…but doesn’t it kind of make it even BETTER???
- Occasionally available through the Costco roadshow! Just be sure you are looking at SmartSilk as this is the comforter that I have reviewed and this is the one that I know is No-Kill and has all of the above qualities
SmartSilk actually makes several other bedding products, as mentioned above: including pillows & pillow protectors ( We’ll have to try those out next!). They also make mattress pads… even for cribs…and they are all certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly You can read more about all of their products by visiting the SmartSilk website…Should you decide to buy something you can also benefit from a 40% discount offered to montrealmom.com readers! Just enter the code MTLMOM40!!!!
Which brings me to my next point: montrealmom.com is THRILLED to be hosting the #SmartSilkSleep GIVEAWAY!
1st prize is a SmartSilk Comforter in Twin (valued at $324.99)
2nd prize is a Crib Mattress Pad (valued at $149)
In order to ENTER THE #SmartSilkSleep you must:
- Leave a comment in the comments section of this post answering the following question: “What is the most important attribute that you value in a comforter?”
- Correctly enter your email address as the winner will notified via email.
- Add info(at)montrealmom.com to your contact list so that if you win, your notification will not go into your junk mail
Once you have entered by answering the question above in the comments section, Here’s how you can get additional entries:
- Follow @SmartSilk on Twitter (leave your Twitter handle in the comments section of this post)
- Follow @montreal_mom on Twitter (leave your Twitter handle in the comments section of this post)
- Tweet this giveaway by retweeting this post using #SmartSilkSleep (1 entry for every RT, you can tweet up to 2 times daily- please leave a link to each tweet in the comments section of this post)
- Add montrealmom.com/blog to your RSS Feed (leave note in comments that you have done so, use same email address for both comment & RSS Feed)
- Write about this giveaway on your blog/website and leave me a link to your post in the comments section (counts as 4 entries!)
- Read any other post on the montrealmom.com blog and comment on it (please leave a comment on this post as to which post you read & commented on)
The giveaway ends at 11:59 PM on Thursday, April 7, 2016. Winner will be chosen at random and will be contacted via email on Friday, April 8th, 2016. Please make sure your email address is correctly entered in the comments section as the winner will notified via email. Winner must answer a skill-testing question before claiming prize. Open to Canadian residents only.
Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement
SmartSilk has provided me with the product that I am using as the prizes for this contest. By entering this contest you are accepting that, if you win, your contact information will be shared with SmartSilk and shipping agency for the purpose of mailing your prize. Please allow 4-6 weeks from the contest closure date to receive your prize.
Disclosure: As with all sponsored posts, I will only ever share with you products and/or services I believe in. All opinions contained within are my own and cannot be bought
Now: GO. ENTER. THE GIVEAWAY. 😉
Wishing you a fabulous day and a restful night