Birthday Party at Le Colisée Kirkland
This weekend, we had the pleasure of celebrating at my twin boys’ 8th birthday party. This year we opted for a movie party at Le Colisée Kirkland for a viewing of Kung Fu Panda 2. It was a little more cumbersome to plan & host than we had anticipated.
Here are some of the problems we encountered:
Before the day of the party:
- We would only know the actual movie time the Tuesday before the movie
- The original time frame that the theater had given us was wrong so we were to be at the theater an entire hour before the movie began
- When we requested a room to serve cake during that hour pre-movie it was denied based on lack of staff
- When we offered to supply an animator, paid by us, we were told this would not be possible
- We therefore had to adjust the start time & call all the parents to reschedule
The day of the party:
- The greeting of the kids was chaotic as they were not “contained” in a room
- We could not go into the theater without our designated staff member
- When she finally escorted us into the theater, the movie had already started
- A section was supposed to be reserved for all of the kids to sit together (3 rows of 6 kids). The seats reserved were in 2 separate section across the aisle from one another.
- Staff member had forgotten the 3D glasses & by the time she brought them in, distributed & unwrapped them with our assistance, another 5-10 minutes of the movie had elapsed
- When the movie was over we were escorted to the party room downstairs by escalator. This may not have been a problem for the 8-year olds at the party but we had some younger children amongst them. Not a safe practice.
- At payment time the staff member tried to pay me $2/child extra (over & above the $3 /child surcharge for 3D glasses)
Things that worked:
- The bin provided for jackets & gifts.
- The pickup of the food at the counter on the theater went smoothly.
- Once we were finally settled in the theater, the kids were happy & enjoyed the film (some were a bit scared).
- Some of the kids spilled popcorn & when my hubby went to buy some to replace it, it was given to him free of charge.
- My Scene membership got me about $10 off on the food portion.
- The $5 Cineplex gift cards we gave as lootbags were a hit!
All in all the kids had a great time, but what was intended to be a headache-free party came with its fair share of stress. Suffice it to say this party did NOT get the montrealmom.com thumbs-up, but at least the kids enjoyed it
Have you ever hosted a movie party birthday? Where? How was your experience? Should I give up completely or is there still hope? Please share your experiences…